1. It’s Tolkien week! What better way to usher it in than with the highly anticipated trailer “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” And don’t forget to celebrate Hobbit Day (September 22), the mutual birthdays of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins with honey-cake and a little Lembas bread.
2. Monica Lewinsky is reportedly receiving a $12 million dollar payday for a Clinton affair tell-all.
3. Wal-Mart has decided to stop selling the Amazon Kindle.
5. The Nobel prize for literature is going to be announced in the next few weeks, and global gambling site Ladbrokes has Bob Dylan at 10:1 odds of winning. “Fifty Shades of Grey” author E L James sits at 500:1. We’re guessing she doesn’t mind being the longshot pick.
8. Who doesn’t want to read just one more adventure of Pippi Longstocking? Wouldn’t you like to know how a young Parisian Madeline turned out as an adult? Our friends over at Flavorwire tell us their favorite classic children’s books that could use a reboot.
10. Thought Catalog has recommended books from a New York It-Girl to a “hilarious” drug memoir that could coax the non-reader in your life to pick up a book.