1. Reading makes you smarter. No matter what book your book club decides to read, spending a few hours each week immersed in a book will do your mind some good.
2. Book discussion can be therapeutic. Delving deep into complicated characters and twisty storylines gives you an opportunity to contemplate your own challenges and demons.
3. It’s cheap fun. Ebooks, used bookstores and libraries have made it easier to find virtually any title at a low cost or no cost at all.
4. Become more interesting. A passion for books is appealing to potential love interests, and it will surely give you something to chat about on any first date.
5. Food and drinks are encouraged. Book discussions can be easily paired with a meal at your favorite restaurant or with a six-pack of your favorite microbrew.
6. Your employer will be impressed. Whether you add this activity to your Linkedin profile or chat about your latest book club read at the watercooler, your boss will surely admire your bookish ways.
8. Reading fiction can make you more empathetic. According to this 2009 study, readers exposed to works of fiction demonstrated stronger empathetic abilities.