1. This week, EW released the first look at the new “The Hunger Games” movie, “Catching Fire.” In the Bookish office there was some good old-fashioned squeeing over Sam Claflin as the swoon-worthy Finnick Odair. We can’t wait until the movie is released in November!
2. Oscar nominations were announced yesterday, and “Silver Linings Playbook” and “Argo” were just two of the book-based movies that were selected. Our pals at the Huffington Post rounded up the 11 book adaptations that got a nod.
4. Last year was a great year for comic books! Let the geek-chic crew over at Wired.com share their favorites of 2012.
5. For the bookish kid, Happy Meals are about to get a whole lot happier. According to Time, McDonald’s restaurants in the U.K. will be adding books as prizes instead of toys. If they distribute one book with each meal sold, “McDonald’s estimates that they will become the largest children’s book distributor in the country, with a total of 15 million books handed out by the end of 2014.” We’re lovin’ it!
6. After 23 years, one of fantasy’s most acclaimed series “The Wheel of Time” is coming to an end. That’s 14 books in the series with over 44 million in print. Our friends over at USA Today break down fantasy writer Robert Jordan by the numbers.